Sunday, December 4, 2016

Recording: All Ears, All Thumbs

Artist: All Ears, All Thumbs

Song: [excerpt from first piece]

Recorded at The Tranzac's Southern Cross Lounge (416 Toronto Creative Improvisers Festival – Night 2), November 3, 2016.

All Ears, All Thumbs - [excerpt from first piece]

When I was asked to present a night at the 416 festival, I wanted try and bring in some guests from further afield than I might normally do, so I was pleased that bassist Raphael Foisy-Couture agreed to come down the 401 from Montréal. Given the chance to put together a 416-meets-514 ensemble, he brought along guitarist Vicky Mettler to face off with Colin Fisher (playing drums) and Karen Ng on alto. (He also brought the festival's best band name.) I had seen thee of these four (minus Ng) playing together a couple months previously, so I kinda knew that I was expecting a bit of a shredfest. And indeed there was no shortage of that, but also some nice moments of holding back between bursts of sweet tumult.

No comments:

Post a Comment