Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Six years/Six pack: Ian Chai

MFS has turned six! My introductory thoughts on this landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks to pick some of their favourites to help me celebrate.

Today's list is from Ian Chai, the organizational force/grim taskmaster behind Buzz Records.


I promised myself that these selections wouldn't be an incestuous circle jerk: I failed spectacularly, but it wasn't for lack of effort.

As I worked my way through the voluminous pages of MFS, I was truly struck by how many amazing and formative moments I had shared with Joe. And as the years have passed, I've come to consider him not so much a friend, but rather a plausible alibi for my whereabouts.

Here's to 6 years and many more, Mr. Strutt!

ANAMAI - 50% Pizza

While it’s difficult to ignore the jackass yammering before the song begins, dude was right about one thing: this became a single.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Odonis Odonis - Blood Feast

An oldie but a goodie – you're listening to the live debut of their new sound rig at our Krampus party. It was so loud that at least 5 beer bottles vibrated off the merch table and onto my lap.

The Beverleys - Bre's House

We literally signed the band a couple days before this show, annoying many who thought they'd be attending the release party for their EP.

Hussy - Tarter Mouth

Remember when HSY was Hussy? And the song was called Tarter, not Tartar, Mouth? And Jude sang the tune? And Anna and Kat weren't in the band? Jude's going to be mad I posted this one.

Hut - On Parole

In many ways, this set was ground zero for my start in the music industry – so many feels – ask me about it sometime.

Weaves - Take a Dip

The Long Winter started taking fire code/capacity regulations seriously after this one – rager.


You can always click on the tags below to look for more stuff from these artists. Has there been a half-dozen songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment