Friday, February 20, 2015

Six years/Six pack: Luca Capone

MFS has turned six! My introductory thoughts on this landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks to pick some of their favourites to help me celebrate.

Today's list is from Luca Capone, who I met as Moonwood's drummer, but is also the host of The Night Shift (every Friday at midnight on CHRY 105.5 FM), a tale-spinner, and a general-purpose vault of musical knowledge.


If Joe Strutt is the Harrison Ford of the Toronto underground music community, then Mechanical Forest Sound is his Millennium Falcon. It is this grand vehicle of wonder that brings so much joy to Toronto music lovers. He is a relentless grinder who is intent on capturing the honest, beautiful, strange sounds of our city, and championing musicians who work just as hard to share their sounds. I support his endless mission, and I wish him, and MFS, all the best.

The Besnard Lakes - And This Is What We Call Progress

I had interviewed Jace & Olga a few hours earlier, and was over the moon because the interview went well. One of my absolutely favourite groups ever, putting on a beastly performance, on what was already a great night; I was on cloud ten.

Fond of Tigers - Pemberdunn Maples Wolfs (part 2)

I was really digging into alot of Drip Audio stuff during those days (Inhabitants, Tony Wilson), and the station had received FOT's latest, Continental Western, in the mail maybe a month before its release that September, and I fell in love with it. Someone at the station (It was probably Matt) kept telling me that the band was playing a show in Toronto really soon, but I completely blanked out. After listening to this recording, I truly realized how much of a clown I was for missing it.

Aline Morales - Juízo Final

I had seen Aline and her band put together one of the most incredible performances I've ever seen a month earlier at the Expressions of Brazil Festival at the Harbourfront. I thought, "I saw her last month, I should still go", but I didn't! Another mistake.

Bernice - Body Motivation

Another reason why Robin Dann & The Bernice crew is the most underrated band in the city. 'Nuff said. I honestly don't know what else to say. I'm desperate for a full-length from them.

Do Make Say Think - Anything for Now

Despite having my spot at the front of the stage obstructed by a jackass who proceeded to spend the entire set chewing out his date for not knowing anything about Mac Demarco, DMST was absolutely brilliant, taking my heart and soul on a rollercoaster ride, and setting my imagination on fire.

Elfin Saddle - unknown

The fusion of this performance and the scenery at Gibraltar Point had cast a spell on me. I was transfixed, hypnotized by their music; surrounded by the spirits of that old school, the light house, the setting sun and the swaying trees, I was swept away to another time and place that could only exist within the music of Elfin Saddle.


You can always click on the tags below to look for more stuff from these artists. Has there been a half-dozen songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment