Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Recording: Sexy Merlin

Artist: Sexy Merlin

Song: unknown*

Recorded at Handlebar ("Wavelength 585"), January 25, 2014.

Sexy Merlin - unknown

Full review to follow. When I first encountered Sean Dunel's solo project, I think I misconstrued it as a mere drumming exercise, with just enough of a melodic framework to hold things together. It wasn't until I listened to his very tasty Heater EP that I realized that he's dealing in carefully-crafted songs. And by now, his live presence has certainly caught up to that, allowing his Arthur Russell-ish avant-disco sensibility to seem a much a part of the proceedings as the can't-not-dance imperative.

[You can catch Sexy Merlin again at the next Long Winter show, on February 7th.]

* Does anyone know the title to this one? Please leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment