Wednesday, March 14, 2012

1000 Songs: Zaid Khan

1000 Songs: Zaid Khan

I have now posted one thousand songs from my live recordings to this blog. My introductory thoughts on that landmark can be found here, but long story short: I asked some folks to pick some of their favourites to help me celebrate.

If it's a truism that the internet flattens things like geography in favour of other affinities, then it's no surprise that I crossed virtual paths with Ottawa's Zaid Khan, who goes to see a lot of the same bands I like, and has helped document some of them on his youtube channel.


Braids - In Kind

This is a new song that they've been playing live. I saw them exit with this at NXNE and it was one of those "whoa" moments.

Bruce Peninsula - Adrenaline

This was recorded at their record release show at Lee's Palace probably to the largest crowd they've seen. And it was the first time they played this song live, and boy how befitting does it sound. The crowd reaction is something, but what's more interesting is the band's commenting on their own satisfaction. Have a listen to the closing statements for yourself.

The D'Urbervilles - Cito G/Boys To Men

As it stands right now, we have no idea if Matters, the mutation of D'Urbervilles, still has plans to release their old-new record. If it remains unavailable, then no doubt: this would be one of the best albums the general public never got to hear. Apparently this one-two punch that they'd open the show with is also the album opener.

Minotaurs - Runaway Lane

Simply a beautiful well-constructed songs, and a personal favourite. I actually enjoy how the band overpowers the recording.

Snowblink and Friends - Crabapples/Satisfied

Not only do I have a deep love of the band Bruce Peninsula, but I also have an enormous amount of respect for the individuals in the band, as they have continuously treated me like a long-time friend even though I've only come to know them over the last few years. So when news came of frontman Neil Haverty's leukemia diagnosis I was deeply saddened. I was this close to coming to this tribute show from Ottawa just to support the cause. My plans didn't work out, but Joe managed to capture what seems to have been a truly moving moment, and one of the most brilliant inter-band interpretations of these two songs.


You can always click on the tags below to read more about the shows these songs came from. Have there been four or five songs posted here that made an impact on you? If you'd like to get in on the action and make a list, feel free to send me an email: mechanicalforestsound@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment